The nominations for this year’s Jazz FM Awards have been announced revealing an all-female line up in the Jazz Vocalist of the Year category.
Liane Carroll, a pillar on the jazz scene for 35 years, will battle it out against East Londoner Zara MacFarlane and Anglo-Polish singer Alice Zawadzki in the Best Jazz Vocalist category. Here are the three artists in action.
The awards ceremony will take place at Shoreditch Town Hall on, appropriately, International Jazz Day on 30 April. The event will cap off a remarkable year for jazz, which has enjoyed a resurgence in popularity in the past 12 months, with a host of exciting new artists breaking through on the scene.
The ceremony will bring together the best of British jazz, soul and blues along with some of the world’s leading jazz performers including Grammy Award-winning US vocalist Cécile McLorin Salvant.
McLorin Salvant, nominated for Best International Artist and Album of the Year, has been confirmed on the performing line-up.
Public can vote for three categories: Live Experience of the Year, Album of the Year and UK Jazz Act of the Year.
Public voting is open now at jazzfmawards.com and will close on 2 April.
The full list of nominees includes:
Breakthrough Act of the Year
- Ezra Collective
- Nubya Garcia
- Rob Luft
Soul Artist of the Year
- Jordan Rakei
- Leroy Hutson
UK Jazz Act of the Year (Public Vote)
- Ezra Collective
- Kansas Smitty’s House Band
Digital Initiative of the Year
- Esperanza Spalding: Exposure
- Jacob Collier: I Harm U
- Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Club: Live Streaming
Instrumentalist of the Year
- Evan Parker
- Theon Cross
- Yazz Ahmed
Blues Artist of the Year
- Lucky Peterson
- Taj Mahal & Keb’ Mo’
- Robert Cray
Jazz Innovation of the Year
- Carleen Anderson: Cage Street Memorial
- Joe Armon-Jones and Maxwell Owin: Idiom
- Shabaka Hutchings
Vocalist of the Year
- Alice Zawadzki
- Liane Carroll
- Zara McFarlane
International Jazz Artist of the Year
- Cécile McLorin Salvant
- Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah
Album of the Year (Public Vote)
- Blue Note All-Stars – Our Point of View
- Cécile McLorin Salvant – Dreams and Daggers
- Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah – Diaspora
- Denys Baptiste – The Late Trane
- Phronesis – The Behemoth
- Thundercat – Drunk
Live Experience of the Year (Public Vote)
- A Concert for Alice and John – Pharoah Sanders Quartet, Denys Baptiste and Alina Bzhezhinska – EFG London Jazz Festival at The Barbican
- An evening with Dave Holland – Ambleside Days Festival at Zephirellis Cinema
- Jazz Re:Fest at Southbank Centre
- Makaya McCraven featuring Theon Cross Trio and Jaimie Branch Fly or Die Ensemble – CHICAGOXLONDON Day 1 at Total Refreshment Centre
- Randolph Matthews – Jazz in the Round at Love Supreme Festival
- Ronnie Scott’s presents Ezra Collective – EFG London Jazz Festival at Islington Assembly Hall